Cetirizine dihydrochloride is the active ingredient of Zirtek. Zirkek is an antiallergic medication.
In adults and children aged 2 years and above, Zirtek is indicated
- for the relief of nasal and ocular symptoms of seasonal and perennial allergic rhinitis
- for the relief of urticaria and hives
How to take Zirtek
- Adults and adolescents above 12 years: 10mg once daily as 10 ml oral solution (2 full measuring spoons)
- Children between 6 and 12 years: 5mg twice daily as 5ml (1 full measuring spoon) twice daily.
- Children between 2 and 6 years: 2.5mg twice daily as 2.5 ml oral solution (a half-measuring spoon) twice daily.
Do not take Zirtek
- If you have a severe kidney disease (severe renal failure with creatinine clearance below 10 ml/min)
- If you are allergic to cetirizine dihydrochloride, to any of the other ingredients listed on the product, to hydroxyzine or to any piperazine derivatives (closely related active ingredients of other medicines)
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Zirtek should not be taken by pregnant women. Consult your doctor.
Driving and using machines
Zirtek is a non-drowsy drug in most people that take this medication. However, if you drive or operate machinery or take part in hazardous activities while taking this medication, you should closely observe your response to the drug.
Common Side Effects (up to 1 in 10 patients)
Dizziness, diarrhea, nausea, dry mouth, fatigue, somnolence, pharyngitis, rhinitis (in children)